4.10.2006

Windows and Doors

Anyone who knows me also knows that it's been a long time ambition of mine to become a doctor. After the last round of applications to several schools, I've decided to broaden my search area for my next round.

An opportunity that sounds pretty amazing has come up in my research - Flinders Medical College in Australia is right within my academic requirement range. Their program offers hands-on clinical experience from year 1, which is very unlikely to happen in North American schools. They also reserve 30 seats for international students (For those of you keeping score at home, that's more than triple the number of seats that Canada's own Dalhousie Medical School reserves for students who are applying from out-of-province).

Their application is also due in the next 2 weeks.

I've been saying for a while now that I'm ready for a change, but I really don't know that I've considered the possibility of a change this big. I mean, this is potentially going to result in my relocating to the opposite side of the planet, quite literally, for a few years. Then again, I've also always said that Australia is a place I'd like to visit for a significant amount of time. I guess 4 years could definitely qualify for that.

Scarily well-timed and very very appealing. Coincidence? Dangling carrot?
Anyone?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sabrina!
Hi, I think this is your first Pemma-comment. I hope work is going well today - no fire drills and other such excitement. I think Australia is a great idea - a wonderful opportunity to explore, travel, live on your own - not to mention become a doctor (you will make a great doctor- I can kind of see you calling all of your patients "buddy". Just kidding!) I am interested in a Masters of International Public Health in Sydney, if we are both in Australia for a prolonged period or time, we can do interesting vacations together - even if we are not living in the same city (at least it will be the same continent - closer than Toronto at any rate). This was a very rambly comment! I'll talk to you more later.
Love Pem

Tue Apr 11, 03:06:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sabrina!
Hi, I think this is your first Pemma-comment. I hope work is going well today - no fire drills and other such excitement. I think Australia is a great idea - a wonderful opportunity to explore, travel, live on your own - not to mention become a doctor (you will make a great doctor- I can kind of see you calling all of your patients "buddy". Just kidding!) I am interested in a Masters of International Public Health in Sydney, if we are both in Australia for a prolonged period or time, we can do interesting vacations together - even if we are not living in the same city (at least it will be the same continent - closer than Toronto at any rate). This was a very rambly comment! I'll talk to you more later.
Love Pem

Tue Apr 11, 03:06:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I posted a loooooooooong comment and for some reason it won't appear. And I lost it all - it basically said rah-rah Australia, I may be there too, and we can take fun trips together even if I am in Sydney and you are elsewhere. And I said you will be a great doctor and that you will probably call everyone "buddy" - haha, just kidding. That was the gist of it! I'm mad it was erased. Talk to you later,
Pem

Tue Apr 11, 03:09:00 PM  
Blogger Deblin said...

Darling. If anyone can say to you "GO!" and "Don't go!" at the same time, it's me.

Where in Australia are we talking? Tim is thinking about doing teacher's college there. Not to mention that Danielle lives there... I think all signs are pointing to Deb visiting Australia too.

Fri Apr 21, 12:03:00 PM  
Blogger Sabs said...

Well, the program I first saw (and mentioned in this post) is at Flinders University in Adelaide. Right now, I'm looking into the University of New South Wales. Nothing even close to definite yet. If I do end up there though, you MUST come and visit. We'll go hang out with the koalas, and get glorious sunburns!

Sun Apr 23, 01:10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home