1.15.2007

Me vs. Winter: Round 25

This morning, Toronto woke up to its first real wintery day this year.

Steadily falling freezing rain (or maybe wet snow... what's the difference, anyway?) left the city covered in a layer of ice. This included my car, which was encased in about 3mm of solid ice that took more than 20 minutes of vigorous scraping to get off. At 7:45 on a Monday morning, this meant that I was less than pleased, and cursing in my head the entire time. Once I made it out on the road, it was, as AM 680 News put it, "like driving on ball bearings". Combine that with me forgetting my passcard at home, and getting harassed at work by a rent-a-cop because of that, it was shaping up to be a brilliant day.

I tried to be rational in thinking about it. After all, the weather has been so mild that I've had very little to complain about all year. I told myself that many parts of the country deal with weather that is much colder and icier than this all the time. I even went as far as to remind myself that global warming is a huge problem that could leave us all underwater, turning the places I know and love into fabled, wet wastelands like Atlantis. I told myself that I should be thankful that Toronto is even seeing any winter precipitation, because it means that we're not totally doomed to die from our sins against the environment just yet.

But here's what I came to realize: I don't care.

I've never loved winter. I hate being cold. I hate having to wake up a half hour earlier than usual just to be able to see out my car windows. I hate that people forget how to drive as soon as any snow hits the ground. I've never supported -35 as an acceptable temperature for anything to stay alive. I enjoy super hot weather. I don't support destroying the environment. I don't drive a huge gas guzzling car, I don't usually use aerosol products, and I don't think it's awesome that warmer climates are experiencing violent weather patterns. I have no problems with trees, and the saving of trees. But how am I supposed to help if I'm forced to idle my car for 20 minutes as I scrape my windshields, without using a blowtorch or a chainsaw? Does anyone really want to complain when it's a comfortable 7 degrees in the middle of January? I certainly don't.

Everyone chooses their battles. Today, I choose to side with El Nino.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good post.

Tue Nov 11, 10:08:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home