7.23.2006

"Was your daddy a thief?..."

Today's random topic: pick-up lines.

Have they ever really worked for anyone?? Jen and I were discussing this after an incident down in Yorkville tonight. We were walking down Bloor street when a guy leaning out of a car window yelled at us, "Hey Mary! There's something about you, Mary!" All we could do was roll our eyes and keep walking. It reminded me of some other ones that I'd been given:

"Hey, ma..." (I was shocked that people use this line in real life, and not just in hip-hop videos)

"Do you come here often?"

"Wherever you're from, it's some place where they have pretty people. 'Cause you're pretty."

"What are you doing, standing here by yourself and not dancing?"

"Didn't I meet you in the Bahamas last summer?" (definitely not), followed by: "You don't have, like, 10 kids or anything , right?"

And my personal favourite attempted pick-up situation: being chased down the 403 by 3 guys in a car who were openly and hilariously gawking at my friends and I through the windows. First, they kept pulling up next to us and staring. Then they motioned for us to pull over. After that, they wrote a phone number down on a sheet of paper, held it up against the window and pointed to a cell phone, asking us to call them.

But seriously, what is the point? During a drive-by situation, it's not as though anything can really come from it. Is it a man pride thing? Is it an amusement thing to just watch the reactions of different women? I don't really get it. Sometimes it's funny, but I don't fully understand it.

So, for discussion: what's the weirdest pick-up line you've ever been given, or that you've ever delivered? This should be fun to read!

10 Comments:

Blogger Jamie said...

weird guy: "Miss, I want to say something, but I don't want to offend you"
me: "just don't say it, you'll probably offend me"
weird guy: "your chest* is very pretty"

*that was me making it kosher.

Mon Jul 24, 10:21:00 PM  
Blogger Sabs said...

Kev, your "charming and not as creepy" story reminds me of another one that I forgot to post!
When I was out at an Irish pub for St. Paddy's day a couple years ago (the worst one ever, believe me. never go to the US for St. Paddy's!), a table of guys we were chatting with came by to say goodbye as they were leaving. One of them was an actual Irish guy, and instead of shaking hands like the others, he leaned over, said "G'bye, love", and kissed me on the cheek.
How he managed to get away with that one is still a mystery to me. Maybe it was the pretty accent.

Thu Jul 27, 06:01:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The one I remember most clearly was at a friend's 21st birthday at a dance club in (dirty) Buffalo. I'd taken a break from the dance floor when a man much older than I came up and asked something along the lines of "what's a girl as beautiful as you doing alone in a place like this." I had to even point my friends out to him before he'd believe I hadn't shown up at the club alone.

Fri Jul 28, 01:45:00 AM  
Blogger Deblin said...

We were in a book store on our first date. He had pulled a "worlds best pick up lines" book off the shelf and was enjoying them, occassionally reading out loud.

He looked up at me and said, "That is a really nice outfit on you."

I raised an eyebrow and put my hands on my hips. "But it would look much better on your floor, right?"

He blushed and stammered for a second. "Oh -I, no." He closed the book. "I just meant that you look nice."

I bit my lip and decided I might let him get a bit lucky that night... ;)

Fri Jul 28, 03:34:00 PM  
Blogger Deblin said...

I've never gotten this one, but if I ever did, it might work:

"Hi. I lost my teddy bear. Will you sleep with me tonight?"

Wed Aug 02, 11:19:00 AM  
Blogger Sabs said...

Can someone please tell me what the deal is with creepy people leaving messages on hi5?! I completely forget that I'm even signed up until I get one of those message alerts from someone whose name I don't recognize.

Wed Aug 02, 11:44:00 PM  
Blogger Deblin said...

I say, if you sign up for hi5, you deserve what you get. Lame-o.

Fri Aug 04, 09:49:00 AM  
Blogger Sabs said...

Your face is a lame-o.

Fri Aug 04, 05:18:00 PM  
Blogger Deblin said...

Your future husband's face is lame-o. Especially considering you won't acquiesce to any of the hot guys who hit on you.

Sat Aug 05, 06:40:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Sabrina! I had to say this one....my coworker has a another coworker interested in her. He's completely obsessed. The other day, he walked her to her car and sighed, saying "you are so beautiful, I can't even look at you!". Sappy, yes...but he appeared to be sincere in every way. He'll be so crushed when she finally admits she has a boyfriend! Life sucks sometimes.

Tue Aug 08, 05:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home